About the Centre
When the Oceanside Health Centre opens in early summer 2013, it will provide:
- 15 hours per day (7:30 am to 10:30 pm), 7 days per week, 365 days per year
- Immediate assessment and treatment for conditions that require same-day treatment
- Assessment and stabilization for transfer to hospital, if needed
The Centre will be able to care for approximately 75% of patients who might typically visit an Emergency Department and not need to be admitted.
- Collaborative work space for up to 10 healthcare providers, family physicians and nurse practitioners supported by an interdisciplinary team
- First level of care intervention, assessment, consultation and/or referral for patients
- A range of supports and services to help individuals and communities stay healthy, get better, manage ongoing disease or illness and cope with end of life.
In addition, VIHA will provide space for visiting specialists and will relocate these services to the new Centre:
- Home and community care, including case management, nursing and rehab services, home support and end of life care;
- Mental Health and Addictions, including case management, counseling and treatment;
- Integrated Health Network team;
- Environmental Health, including food safety, drinking water safety, land use and community sanitation; and
- Health promotion, including diabetes management, healthy heart program, falls prevention, smoking cessation and immunizations.
The Centre will use advanced technology to improve access to and coordination of care:
- Integrated health records;
- Electronic recording of orders and assessments;
- Self service for registration and scheduling;
- TeleHealth and teleconsultation with specialists; and
- TeleHome monitoring to allow patients to self-manage care at home.