February 3, 2012
VICTORIA – For the third year in a row, the Vancouver Island Health Authority has been selected as one of BC’s Top Employers for 2012.
“It’s gratifying to be recognized among the best places to work in the province,” said Dr. Lynn Stevenson, Executive Vice President, People, Organizational Development and Practice for VIHA. “Our staff are our greatest asset, and this distinction helps showcase what’s best about a career in VIHA.”
Some of the reasons VIHA was selected as one of BC’s Top Employers for 2012 include:
- A unique head office site with on-site amenities such as a fitness centre, cafes with healthy menu options, designated quiet rooms for reflection, rest and religious observance
- Ongoing opportunities for employee development, subsidies for tuition and professional accreditation, financial bonuses for course completion and a unique scholarship program available to all employees
- Mentorship program to support new nursing graduates as they enter the workplace
- Supports for employees who are new mothers with maternity leave top up payments (to 85% of salary for 17 weeks) and option to extend maternity leave beyond one year
- Alternative working arrangements such as telecommuting, flexible work hours and compressed work week options for eligible positions
- Public transit subsidies, onsite shower facilities and lockers for bicycle commuters and a car-pool sign up system to help staff reduce their carbon footprint.
“It’s important that our staff feel recognized for their dedication and professionalism,” noted VIHA CEO and President, Howard Waldner. “Fostering a positive work environment is one way we can thank our staff for the compassionate care they provide to our communities each and every day.”
For a full list of BC’s Top Employers, visit: http://www.canadastop100.com/bc/. For a list of career opportunities in VIHA, visit: http://www.viha.ca/careers/.
– 30 –