Abuse and Neglect: Links and Resources

The following links may be of interest to people researching supports and information related to abuse, neglect and self-neglect.

Alzheimer Society of BC - Dementia Helpline
The Dementia Helpline is a service for people with dementia, their caregivers, family and friends.
British Columbia Community Response Networks
Community Response Networks are located in communities across BC. They are diverse groups of concerned community members who come together to create a coordinated community response to adult abuse and neglect.

British Columbia Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support (BCCEAS)
BCCEAS works to prevent elder abuse and to provide assistance and support to older adults that are, or may be, abused and those whose rights have been violated. Call toll free at 1-866-437-1940 to access the Seniors Help and Information Line and the Elder Law Clinic.
e-book Understanding and Responding to Elder Abuse

Community Care Facilities Licensing – Vancouver Island Health authority
Community Care Facilities Licensing program is responsible for investigating every allegation or complaint in one of our licensed community care facility including abuse and neglect.  To report, contact the local Licensing Officer in the care facility’s community.

Provincially-managed directory of health services accessible by the general public.  Listings include those for reporting adult abuse and neglect.  Call centre is managed 24 hours a day, seven days a week and can be reached by dialing 8-1-1.

Lawyer Referral Service of the Canadian Bar Association
The BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association operates the Lawyer Referral Service, which provides you with consultation with a lawyer for up to 30 minutes for $25. No one who uses this service is under any obligation to retain the lawyer if they choose not to do so.

LGBT Aging Center.org - Resources - Elder Abuse

National Clearinghouse on Family Violence
On behalf of the Government of Canada the Public Health Agency of Canada operates the National Clearinghouse on Family Violence and provides information on how to get help.

National First Nations React Elder Abuse Resource

Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre and Registry
Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre promotes the use of personal planning tools as an alternate to adult guardianship.  For personalized help, contact them at info@nidus.ca or call 604-408-7414.

The People's Law School
The People’s Law School is a registered non-profit society that can help you learn about your rights and responsibilities under the law and provide free and impartial public legal education to British Columbians in all walks of life.

RCMP in BC or other municipal Police Departments in your area.

Public Guardian and Trustee of British Columbia
You can contact the Public Guardian and Trustee of BC when you are concerned that an adult is no longer able to manage their own, financial, legal, and personal care matters themselves or when you have concerns when a substitute decision maker is not making appropriate decisions on behalf of a mentally incapable adult.

Victim Services - Government of BC
The Government of BC supports a toll-free, province-wide telephone service called VictimLINK.  VictimLINK operators provide information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and violence.  Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, accessible by TTY (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf) and provide interpretation services for all the major languages spoken in British Columbia.