If you have been sexually assaulted or experienced intentional violence, head to your nearest hospital emergency as soon as possible; you may require Forensic Nursing Services. If you want to make a police report and/or are feeling unsafe please call 9-1-1. Get help for sexual assault or intentional violence
If you would like to speak to someone about your experience and for further support, you can contact the Vancouver Island Crisis line at 1-888-494-3888.
The Forensic Nurse Examiner Program has trained nurse examiners who give expert care for people who have experienced sexual assault and or intentional violence . The nurse examiners work as a team with local health, social and legal services. The service is free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For immediate support please call the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888.
Where to Access Services
Forensic Nursing Services are offered through the Emergency Departments across the Island. These hospitals have forensic nursing services on-site.
- Campbell River General Hospital
- Cowichan District Hospital
- Lady Minto Hospital
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital
- Port Hardy Hospital
- St. Josephs General Hospital
- Tofino General Hospital
- Victoria General Hospital
- Victoria Sexual Assault Centre
- West Coast General Hospital
What We Do
We see people of all genders and ages, who have or may have experienced sexual, interpersonal or intentional violence:
- We provide timely, compassionate and culturally sensitive care by trained professional nurse examiners
- Neutral help for patients to make an informed decision about their health and or forensic care
- With the consent of the patient, forensic exam with collection of forensic samples for evidence
- We liaise with legal system at your consent
- We provide referrals for follow-up care