We want our workforce to resemble the population we serve more closely. That is why VIHA’s plans for the future embody respect, understanding and recognition of Aboriginal peoples.
What is in YOUR future?
Our Aboriginal Employment Vision
VIHA will be recognized as a leader in employment in the community and an Aboriginal "employer of choice". Given that VIHA is the largest employer on Vancouver Island, VIHA will be the largest employer of Aboriginal peoples on Vancouver Island.
Vision, Purpose and Values
At VIHA, we believe that our values guide our actions and relationships, shaping how we make decisions and plan for the future. Living our values is how we put C.A.R.E. into action. Learn more about our Vision, Purpose & Values.
The VIHA Aboriginal Recruitment and Retention Strategy
One of the many challenges facing the Canadian healthcare system is ensuring an adequate supply, mix and geographic distribution of employees. Enhancing Aboriginal employment on Vancouver Island in the healthcare sector is one of a number of strategies to assist in meeting VIHA’s future workforce needs.
The VIHA Aboriginal Recruitment and Retention Strategy focuses on:
- Community Engagement, Establishing Trust and Partnerships with Aboriginal Communities and Organizations – For the VIHA Aboriginal Recruitment and Retention Strategy to be successful, VIHA needs to establish both formal and informal partnerships to build a foundation of trust with First Nations communities and organizations.
- Building for the Future – Providing education / information to Aboriginal people who are not currently qualified for current or future job opportunities in healthcare to allow them to make an informed decision to explore healthcare career opportunities and training.
- Building Organizational Aboriginal Awareness – Providing information / education to VIHA employees on working with Aboriginal peers in the workplace and being aware of cultural safety.
- Promoting VIHA Employment Opportunities to Aboriginals (Recruitment) – Attracting qualified Aboriginal workers to existing professional and support job opportunities in VIHA and on Vancouver Island.
- Maximizing Aboriginal Employee Retention – Identifying issues affecting the retention of Aboriginal employees within VIHA and undertaking strategies to remove employment issues and barriers.