Island Health seeks a part-time Executive Medical Director, Integrated Health Services for Macro Geography 4 (see linked map for details). This position works in partnership with the Executive Director, and reports to the Executive Vice President/Chief Medical Officer.
Working in a co-management model with an Executive Director, the Executive Medical Director is jointly responsible for the overall leadership and direction for a geographic assignment and selected clinical programs.
The Medical Directors and Medical Director/Department Heads within the geographic assignment and selected clinical programs report directly to the Executive Medical Director.
The Executive Medical Director will be accountable for the delivery of services as described below through defined performance expectations to ensure services:
• are aligned with Island Health's goals and objectives;
• are integrated within and across geographies and programs;
• are delivered in the most effective and efficient manner; and support the medical staff organization and Island Health's service plan as published and annually updated on the Island Health website.
The Executive Medical Director will establish formal annual performance expectations approved jointly with the Executive Vice-President and Chief Medical Officer which achieve the above deliverables.
The Executive Medical Director directs effective multi-disciplinary management teams to successfully lead people and adapt systems through times of change by modeling a collaborative working style and leading by influence and respect.
The Executive Medical Director ensures appropriate standards of care and service are developed and effective quality improvement and patient safety activities occur within the assigned geographic assignment and selected clinical programs.
In partnership with the Executive Director, the Executive Medical Director will:
• Ensure strategic and operational planning within clinical programs and support services that maintain a patient/client-focused approach, and that anticipates and responds to shifts in services and changes in the health care system.
• Ensure that internal and external patient care activities are organized to ensure coordination, efficiency, cost effectiveness and quality patient care outcomes.
• Monitor and review the strategic and operational plans on a regular basis and ensures the link with the overall strategic plan.
• Create an environment that supports and encourages creativity and promotes solution driven approaches to meet clinical care challenges.
• Promote the integration and coordination of operational patient care strategies by all members of the clinical program teams and fosters decision making within teams.
• Promote quality improvement plans and rapid cycle improvement projects.
• Promote compliance with accreditation standards, and ethical and legal requirements within clinical programs.
• Demonstrate effective coaching/mentoring skills in the development of geographic assignment and selected clinical programs staff and management.
• Develop and maintain, with the Program Medical Directors, an organizational climate which promotes and supports the professional growth of all staff.
• Create a learning environment, promote research and education initiatives of professional and support staff within clinical programs.
• Identify manpower requirements and work collaboratively in the development of human resource strategies that will ensure the recruitment and retention of physicians, nurses, allied health staff and support staff so as to meet clinical needs
• Provide leadership as a member of the Integrated Health Services Team in strategies to achieve specified goals and objectives.
• Develop and make recommendations to the Executive Management Team on clinical program issues affecting the strategic plan.
• Work with Island Health Senior Management providing site-specific clinical information and input into regional plans related to the health care delivery system.
• Promote and build linkages and alliances between clinical program leaders, other Health Networks and community partners, so as to respond to patient care needs across the continuum of care.
• Identify emerging issues in the local, Provincial Federal and International arenas that could influence the delivery of care within Island Health.
• Monitor information on best practices and benchmarking within industry, regionally and nationally to support organizational decision-making.
• Represents Island Health as a media spokesperson for specific issues.
Medical Staff Organization Functions:
Support the Medical Program Director/Department Head in the establishment and maintenance of integrated Authority wide medical departments.
Works in collaboration with the medical staff organization and the Health Authority Medical Advisory Committee on the development and promotion of medical standards, education and research.
Support CME activity and ensure that it is provided in a manner that supports professional development and focuses upon educational priorities as defined by the best practices and quality improvement opportunities.
Assist with the development and implementation of the physician manpower plan.
Work collaboratively with the Health Authority Medical Advisory Committee.
Manages the organization and effectiveness of local medical staff and supports the development and operations.
Medical Education and Academic Development:
Supports the Island Medical Program and partners with representatives of the University of BC and the University of Victoria.
Promotes research and education initiatives and opportunities for partnerships.
Liaises with research agencies to facilitate best practice service delivery.