After months of anticipation, your baby has arrived. Now what? This section provides helpful information and community resources about caring for your baby. We have also included a special section here on how a new mother can care for herself physically and emotionally in the first year after giving birth.
Some of the most important things you can do to care for your child are listed below.
- Breastfeeding provides the best nutrition for your baby.
- Keep your baby safe from physical harm through immunization, car seat safety, providing a smoke-free environment, and following tips for preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Hold and talk to your baby every chance you have.
- Schedule regular check ups with your family doctor or public health nurse
- Take good care of yourself.
Did you know? Vaccines save lives and prevent disease. To learn how your child can be immunized and when, please visit www.viha.ca/health_info/immunization/.