Each week, 3 babies die of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) in Canada. The exact cause of SIDS is not known but research has shown several ways to reduce your baby’s risk of SIDS.
- Use a firm mattress for the baby’s sleeping surface.
- Put your baby down to sleep on her back. SIDS is less common in babies who sleep on their backs.
- Avoid soft mattresses, fluffy pillows, comforters, stuffed toys and bumper pads as they prevent proper air circulation around your baby's face.
- Dress your baby so he is warm but NOT hot. Even during illness, he should not overheat while sleeping.
- Breastfeeding may also reduce the risk of SIDS.
- Keep a smoke-free home for your baby. Babies who are exposed to smoke are at a higher risk for SIDS.