In 1994, the Comox Valley Nursing Centre (CVNC) began as a demonstration project for the Ministry of Health, under the auspices of the Registered Nurses Association of B.C.
The following mission statements reflect the early history of the centre but also guide the present day service of the Comox Valley Nursing Centre.
The mission of the CVNC is to provide a full range of nursing services to people of the Comox Valley by:
- Enabling nurses to work to the full scope of their knowledge and skills.
- Incorporating the principles of primary health care.
- Providing direct access to nursing services.
- Consulting with others in the community with relation to how, when, and in what priority nursing care should be provided.
- The Individual has a strong capacity for self-direction and change and is the primary decision-maker about their own health.
- The Family is integral to health.
- The Community is able to define, analyze and act on health concerns.
- Health is a resource for everyday living and includes not just physical, but also social and personal resources.
- Health Promotion enables people to increase control over and improve their health. It highlights a preventive focus.
- Nursing focuses on caring. It focuses on individual strengths and is part of a collaborative.