Since its inception, the centre has appreciated the dedication of volunteers who provide an important "meet and greet" function and support the nurses in the work they do. Volunteer roles include welcoming clients as they enter the centre, helping set up for support groups, preparing education packages, assisting in the lending library and much more.
Why volunteer at the centre?
Some of the many reasons people volunteer include:
- We are retired from work not from life.
- We have time to give and much to offer.
- We live in this community.
- We promote the value of one and the power of many.
- We feel needed, wanted, and appreciated.
Desired Skills and Attitudes
- Keen to be a volunteer.
- Enjoy working with the public.
- Pleasant telephone manners/skills.
- Trustworthy and reliable.
- Respect confidentiality.
- Well organized.
- Able to work independently.
- Able to cooperate with staff during stressful times.
Your orientation will include:
- introduction to the staff located at the Comox Valley Nursing Centre;
- tour of the building;
- method of learning, e.g buddy system, demonstration, filling in checklist;
- reference material available and how to access;
- operation of equipment e.g. photocopier, facsimile, computer, dishwasher, shredder;
- information regarding volunteer work area and desk materials;
- room set ups · nature of the service;
- library responsibilities; and
- a follow-up interview in three months with a senior volunteer or centre staff member.
- Meet and greet clients.
- Respond to incoming calls for information on community resources (within the scope of the volunteer role).
- Assist nurses with setting up and phoning for special events.
- Assist nurses with collating education packages.
- Assist with obtaining information and cataloguing information.
- Update community information on bulletin board.
- Assist with managing lending library.
- Work with the Breast Health Group.
- Special projects and other duties as required.
- Letter of reference on request.
- Heightened awareness of community needs and services/resources.
- Opportunity to meet new people.
- Opportunity to give back to your community.
- Becoming a member of an upbeat group.