EIP Team Members





The Infant Development Consultant provides support and information to your family to facilitate all aspects of your child’s early development. The Infant Development (IDP) Consultant may assist you by:

  • Completing developmental screens and assessments
  • Working together with you, in your home, to plan developmentally appropriate activities that best meet your child’s and family’s needs
  • Sharing information on community programs, resources, and supports

The Occupational Therapist (OT) helps your child participate in their everyday life skills.  OT’s have specialized knowledge of sensory processing, fine and oral motor development, and the development of play skills. For infants, toddlers and preschoolers, OTs can help children to:

  • make sense of their environments, encouraging participation at home and in the community.
  • use their hands, fingers and bodies to play with and use toys.
  • help with self care tasks such as feeding, dressing, toileting and bathing.

The Physiotherapist looks at your child's physical development, posture and ability to move. The physiotherapist will support your efforts to:

  • Help your child move and play within his/her environment.
  • Promote the strength and mobility for gross motor skills.
  • Modify or adapt the environment to support your child's needs.

The Psychologist will help in addressing questions about your child’s behaviour, learning abilities, or social and emotional development. The psychologist may work with you and your child to:

  • Complete an assessment of your child’s development, or learning strengths and difficulties.
  • Develop strategies to promote positive behaviour and reduce challenging behaviours.
  • Develop strategies to support your child’s social and emotional development.

[back to top]

The Speech and Language Pathologist (SLP) looks at your child’s ability to respond to what is being said and to communicate.

The SLP will support your efforts to help your child to:

  • Understand what others are saying to him/her
    Communicate through use of speech, gestures, sign
  • language and/or pictures.
  • Improve his/her ability to be understood by others
    Eat and drink safely.

The Social Worker/Team Leader helps to ensure your services are coordinated and works with you to obtain the resources and support your family needs. The Social Worker may assist you by:

  • Coordinating the services your family receives.
  • Helping you to access services and resources in your community.
  • Suggesting practical parenting ideas.
  • Providing supportive counseling including connecting you with other families, offering individual and/or group parent support and assisting you to advocate for your child and family’s needs.

The Supported Child Development Consultant becomes involved with your family when your child is attending a childcare setting, and will work with your family and the childcare provider to support your child to fully participate and develop in a childcare program. The Supported Child Development Consultant might assist you by:

  • Completing a Support Guide, which will assist in helping the childcare setting successfully include your child.
  • Observing your child in a childcare setting and leaving suggestions with the educators regarding various strategies and modifications that will support your child’s development in the program.
  • Helping your child make the transition into the school system.

The Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (TDHH) will help you become knowledgeable about the implications of hearing loss and strategies that you can use with your child.  The TDHH will support you by:

  • Helping your child use their amplification equipment in everyday settings (hearing aids, FM equipment, cochlear implant devices).
  • Developing techniques to enhance auditory, speech, language, and communication skills.
  • Informing you of the choices and methods of communication (auditory-verbal, total communication, ASL, signed English, cued speech).

[back to top]

Contact Information

To make a referral:

CYFH-RS Intake
Queen Alexandra Centre for Children's Health 2400 Arbutus Road
Victoria, BC V8N 1V7
Phone: 250.519.6763