The Family Practice Council meets monthly to review current initiatives, host guest speakers with topics of interest to family physicians, report on activities of the Department, learn about island-wide Health Authority and provincial initiatives and seek feedback from site chiefs and other members regarding site-specific or regional issues of concern.
Key functions of the Family Practice Council are:
- To provide support and advice to the various Site Chiefs of Family Practice across the island
- To identify and report on quality assurance, clinical and process improvement opportunities within family practice at VIHA sites
- To provide a forum for information sharing regarding issues relevant to family physicians, including, but not limited to: VIHA's Primary Health Care, Chronic Disease Management and Rural Health Services, Aborginal and women's health, residential care, home and community care and end of life programs, and province-wide initiatives impacting family physicians
- To provide a forum for communicating with key partners
- To participate in physician resource planning
- To promote research and academic development in Primary Health Care
Membership of the Family Practice Council
All local Site Chiefs of Family Practice (at hospitals, urgent care centres and rural/remote locations), Service Chiefs for End of Life and GP Obstetrics, Medical Directors of Rural Family Practice, Urban Family Practice, Residential Services, and Home and Community Care. The Council is also interested in establishing formal linkages with the various Divisions of Family Practice across Vancouver Island.
If you are a family physician working in a community on Vancouver Island and would like to become involved, please contact Dr. Ron Hiebert (Ron.Hiebert@viha.ca) or Ms. Chris Bowlby (Christine.Bowlby@viha.ca).