The Duncan Diabetes Education program serves the Cowichan area from Mill Bay to Ladysmith, including Saltspring Island. We go to Saltspring Island every three to four months.
We offer three types of appointments:
- Drop-in Appointments
- Individual Appointments
- Classes and Group Sessions
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Our Dietitian and Nurse are trained as Diabetes Educators to help answer your questions and address your concerns, including
- Blood sugar testing (including provisions of meters if needed) and blood sugar strip certification;
- Nutrition information for blood sugar and heart health;
- Lifestyle practices that improve blood sugars and heart health
- Carbohydrate counting;
- Review of diabetes medications including insulin;
- Insulin and Victoza starts;
- Help with self-management of insulin doses to get good blood sugar control; or
- Resources for improving mood and motivation.
Please see our list of classes and group sessions for more information.
You don’t need an appointment to come to drop-in. It is an individual appointment done on a first come, first serve basis for a short visit (10 to 15 minutes) to address a question or concern you may have.
There are drop-in times at both Ladysmith and Duncan locations:
Duncan – 1:00p.m. to 3:00p.m. Wednesdays
Ladysmith – 2:00p.m. to 3:00p.m. Tuesdays
Contact the centre (listed on the right) for more information.