From December through March, all visitors, staff and volunteers will be expected to wear a mask in our facilities if they have not had a flu shot. For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) Influenza Protection Policy (.pdf).
This applies to all health care professionals who deliver influenza immunization to their patients in the Island Health area. This includes physicians, pharmacists, nurse practitioners and nurses.
- The publicly funded influenza vaccines available this year include: Fluviral®, Agriflu® or Fluad® (for residential care residents only), and FluMist® (intranasal), FluLaval® Tetra.
- Agriflu® and Fluviral® will be available in equal quantities; however, Agriflu® single dose vials require nine times the fridge space compared to the equivalent doses of Fluviral®.
- Flumist® requires twelve times more space than Fluviral®. Clinicians’ offices should be aware of this when planning for transport and storage of their vaccine supply.
- For your first order, please request only the vaccine you need to meet your initial requirements. Place subsequent vaccine orders as needed.
- Influenza vaccine will be distributed based on available supply. If an ordered vaccine is no longer available, another equivalent product will be supplied in lieu.
- If no vaccine product is available or a substitution is not acceptable, we will NOT backfill orders. Please submit another order for additional vaccine or for a different vaccine product when it becomes available.
Read about this season's influenza and vaccine
Review use of the intranasal vaccine if you plan to use it:
Order and manage vaccines
For staff and colleagues
Adverse events following immunization
Suspected and confirmed outbreaks should be reported within 24 hours to the Communicable Disease Program:
- South Island: 1-866-665-6626
- Central Island: 1-866-770-7798
- North Island: 1-877-887-8835
Follow diagnosis and treatment guidelines
Teach others how to prevent influenza
- Model hand hygiene with soap and water or alcohol-based sanitizer
- Demonstrate cough etiquette
- Support time off work/school when ill
- Staying healthy during flu season
Follow influenza activity in your community and globally