Here are some tips to help you stay healthy during influenza (flu) season.
Know the symptoms
Influenza symptoms can include fever, headache, muscle pain, runny nose, sore throat, extreme tiredness, and cough. Children may also experience nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Although infections from other viruses may have similar symptoms, those due to the influenza virus tend to be worse. Read more about Influenza.
Take care of yourself
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based sanitizers.
- Stay home when you're sick or have flu symptoms.
- Do not cough or sneeze into your hands - use your upper arm or a tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Influenza vaccine is the most effective method we have to prevent getting sick from influenza or passing it on to others. In British Columbia, the seasonal flu vaccine is provided free of charge to many people.