Access to subsidized assisted living units is through a Home Health Assessment. For more information on subsidized units, contact the Home Health Office nearest you. Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized units. For information on market units, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
- Publicly Subsidized Units: 45
- Private-Pay Units: 0
This newly constructed (2003) three-storey apartment-style setting is located above the Aberdeen Seniors Centre on Hillside Avenue. It is on major bus routes and adjacent to a large shopping centre. Victoria Cool Aid Society specializes in providing housing that supports people facing a variety of challenges.
Apartments are all one-bedroom suites with full kitchens and good accessibility and safety features. Four suites are purpose built for wheelchair use. The dining room has outdoor deck space for relaxation. Scooter storage is available in the basement, or may be stored inside suite. Limited short-term visitor parking is available on site.
Neighbourhood /Community Amenities
- One block from major shopping centre
- Two pharmacies within walking distance
- On a bus route
- Adjacent to hospital and seniors wellness centre
Philosophy of Care
Hillside Terrace is a unique environment which caters to residents who may not fit with other Assisted Living buildings but can still live in a social, community-oriented setting using appropriate behaviours and interactions. Staff are experienced in dealing with behaviours resulting from addictions and mental illness, and they work hard to ensure that all tenants feel safe and secure in their homes.
Type of Accommodation
- One-bedroom suites with full kitchens
- Four fully accessible wheelchair units
Residents pay 70% of their after-tax income which covers: 1) monthly rental accommodation; 2) hospitality services: two meals, weekly housekeeping, laundry, etc.; 3) personal care; and 4) on-site emergency response system. Residents on income assistance pay a flat rate. Items not included as a part of the monthly fee include: telephone, cable, hydro, personal laundry, household and toiletry supplies, medications, personal care products and insurance.
Special Recreational Opportunities
- Activities such as bingo, crafts, movie nights, etc.
- Tenants are encouraged to be involved in daily tasks such as gardening, table setting, etc.
- Pool table, common TV room, library, free computer use
- Activities are planned around special events.
- Hillside Seniors Health Centre below provides a number of programs and support groups related to chronic disease management.
- Walkers, canes, manual or power wheelchairs and scooters can be accommodated throughout the building.
Motorized Scooter Policy
- Scooters can be stored in apartments.
- Pets permitted on the approval of manager.
- Smoking permitted in suites and on shared deck only.
- 24-hour staffing
- Cameras monitoring entry
- Pendant-style personal alarm system
- 24-hour on-site emergency response
- Tenants must be 19+ years of age
- Single or couple
No specific expectations