Access to subsidized assisted living units is through a Home Health Assessment. For more information on subsidized units, contact the Home Health Office nearest you. Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized units. For information on market units, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
Publicly Subsidized Units: 45
Private-Pay Units: 0
Built in 2003, this is a three-storey apartment-style setting located above the Aberdeen Seniors Centre on Hillside Avenue. It is on major bus routes and adjacent to a large shopping centre. Victoria Cool Aid Society specializes in providing housing that supports people facing a variety of challenges.
Apartments are all one-bedroom suites with full kitchens and good accessibility and safety features. Four suites are purpose built for wheelchair use. The dining room has outdoor deck space for relaxation. Scooters may be stored inside suite. Limited short-term visitor parking is available on site.
Neighbourhood /Community Amenities
- One block from major shopping centre
- Two pharmacies within walking distance
- On a bus route
- Adjacent to hospital and seniors wellness centre
Language, Culture or Religious Affiliation
Philosophy of Care
Harm reduction philosophy. Hillside Terrace is a unique environment which caters to residents who may not fit with other Assisted Living buildings but can still live in a social, community-oriented setting using appropriate behaviours and interactions. Staff are experienced in dealing with behaviours resulting from addictions and mental illness, and they work hard to ensure that all tenants feel safe and secure in their homes.
Type of Accommodation
- Single or Double Occupancy
- One-bedroom suites with full kitchens
- Four fully accessible wheelchair units
Residents pay 70% of their after-tax income which covers: 1) monthly rental accommodation; 2) hospitality services: two meals, weekly housekeeping, laundry, etc.; 3) personal care; and 4) on-site emergency response system. Residents on income assistance pay a flat rate. Items not included as a part of the monthly fee include: telephone, cable, hydro, personal laundry, household and toiletry supplies, medications, personal care products and insurance.
Special Recreational Opportunities
- Activities such as bingo, crafts, movie nights, etc.
- Tenants are encouraged to be involved in daily tasks such as gardening, table setting, etc.
- Pool table, common TV room, library, free computer use
- Activities are planned around special events
- Hillside Seniors Health Centre below provides a number of programs and support groups related to chronic disease management.
Walkers, canes, manual or power wheelchairs and scooters can be accommodated.
Motorized Scooter Policy
Scooters can be stored in apartments.
Cats that are properly cared for are permissible with the prior approval of the building manager.
Smoking permitted in suites and on shared deck only.
Tenants must be 19+ years of age
- 24-hour staffing
- Cameras monitoring common areas
- Pendant-style personal alarm system
- 24-hour on-site emergency response
Any Other Amenities
2 meals - lunch and dinner
During influenza season (typically December-March), to help protect patients from the flu, all visitors will be expected to wear a mask in our facilities if they have not had a flu shot. For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) and Influenza Protection Policy (PDF).