Access to subsidized assisted living units is through a Home Health Assessment. For more information on subsidized units, contact the Home Health Office nearest you. Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized units. For information on market units, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
- Publicly Subsidized Units: 60
- Private-Pay Units: 0
Jesken Aerie, "Golden Eagle Nest", is a project of the well-established M'akola Housing Society, an experienced operator of family housing on Vancouver Island. It is a newly constructed (2005) four-storey building in the heart of the Langford community. Built to ILBC standards, this modern accessible building features a West Coast Aboriginal theme and provides housing and services to Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal tenants.
The building is located on a major bus route and is adjacent to shopping, a health clinic and numerous services. The supports and services offered support a multicultural community and special features acknowledge the preferences of historical significance to West Coast Native Elders. There is no age restriction/minimum in this building.
The building features an outdoor heated patio with barbeque, main floor dining, activity/craft room, common computer area and theatre room.
Neighbourhood /Community Amenities
- There is easy access to transportation services, recreational facilities, medical services, a senior’s centre, shopping venues, and coffee shops within very close proximity to Jesken Aerie
- There is a bus stop located directly in front of the building
- Juan De Fuca Recreation Centre is a 5-minute drive
- Access to Doctors, Dentists, Chiropractors, and Naturopathic services is within 3 blocks of Jesken Aerie. St. Anthony’s Clinic is a 5-minute drive (they have a health clinic, laboratory, x-ray, and pharmaceutical services)
- Victoria General Hospital is approximately 10-minutes driving distance
- Westshore Mall is a 5-minute drive
- If you like specialized coffee, there are numerous coffee shops within a 1-block radius
- There is a Hair Salon and a Barber Shop located in Lavendar Square in the building beside Jesken Aerie as well as numerous others within a short walking distance
Philosophy of Care
Jesken Aerie strives to provide culturally appropriate, respectful and affordable shelter and hospitality services to elders, seniors and persons living with a disability who require assistance with activities of daily living.
M’akola, a First Nations-based organization:
- embraces the vision to improve living conditions for elders while encouraging and reinforcing traditional practices and cultural beliefs
Jesken Aerie Management:
- will respectfully support our residents to maintain maximum independence in a safe, homelike environment, recognizing the diversity of individuals who have different needs, wants, and beliefs
Jesken Aerie Staff:
- will be accountable and responsible to Jesken Aerie for the efficient performance of duties and will make every effort to be sensitive to the profound social responsibility they have, due to the fact that their work intimately touches the lives of others. Our employees will respect the essential worth of our residents and safeguard their dignity, individuality, and personal rights
Type of Accommodation
- 55 one-bedroom suites.
- 5 two-bedroom suites designated for persons with family support members living on-site.
- In-suite scooter and storage space.
Residents pay 70% of their after-tax income which covers: 1) monthly rental accommodation; 2) hospitality services: two meals and two snacks daily, weekly housekeeping, laundry, etc.; 3) personal care; and 4) on-site emergency response system. Residents on income assistance pay a flat rate. Items not included as a part of the monthly fee include: telephone, cable, hydro, personal laundry, household and toiletry supplies, medications, personal care products and insurance.
Special Recreational Opportunities
We have a part-time (25 hours per week) Recreation Coordinator who organizes daily activities, entertainment and outings.
We have a wide range of activities such as exercise programs, discussion groups, painting classes, crafts, theater room, Wii Bowling and much, much more…. Card games such as bridge, cribbage, and poker are held during the week.
Our monthly calendar and newsletter are available at the beginning of each month, which will be placed in your mailboxes and posted in different areas of the building to serve as a reminder of the scheduled events.
Motorized Scooter Policy
- Residents may use scooters in the building provided they do so safely.
- Residents are asked to reduce their speed when using a scooter indoors.
- There is scooter storage space inside the units.
- Scooters may not be left in the hallway or common areas.
- We have a resident cat that resides on the main floor and is cared for by residents and staff.
- There is a strict no pet policy in individual units for obvious reasons.
- Smoking permitted in deisgnated outdoor areas only.
- 24/7 staffing
- Security cameras
- Medical pendants
- Guest restrictions enforced if necessary
- Fire and earthquake preparedness (drills and education sessions)
- Tenants must be 19+ years of age.
- Single or couple or additional family support persons at discretion of management.
No specific expectations