Access to subsidized assisted living units is through a Home Health Assessment. For more information on subsidized units, contact the Home Health Office nearest you. Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized units. For information on market units, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
- Publicly Subsidized Units:
- Kiwanis House: 45
- Kiwanis Soroptimist Suites: 37
- Private-Pay Units: 0
Kiwanis House is a comfortable, recently renovated apartment-style building situated within Kiwanis Village, a campus of care located in the hospital district of Nanaimo. This seniors-only setting boasts many amenities and provides 15 one-bedroom and 30 studio apartments, each with individual patio or French balcony. Meals are served in our Fireside Restaurant, open 11am to 6pm daily, and guests are welcome at any time without prior arrangements.
Kiwanis Soroptimist Suites, opened in January 2008, offers 37 spacious one-bedroom units with patios or decks. Meals and activities take place in our bright and open Multi-Purpose room with large adjoining patio. The building is only steps away from the Fireside Restaurant, Kiwanis General Store and Frith-Radcliffe Auditorium located in Kiwanis House.
Kiwanis Village is on a major bus route, close to shopping centres and adjacent to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. The Kiwanis Lodge, a complex-care facility, is also located within the Village grounds.
Kiwanis House: has a restaurant-style dining room, general store, free laundry facilities, resident lounge with large screen TV and an auditorium.
Kiwanis Soroptimist Suites: has a multi-purpose room for meals and activities featuring a large screen TV, a large outdoor patio with fountain, and free laundry facilities.
Neighbourhood /Community Amenities
Located in the Hospital District, Kiwanis Village is adjacent to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, and there are doctors’ offices and pharmacies within walking distance. Kiwanis Village is only blocks away from Beaufort Centre, Brooks Landing, and Terminal Park Mall.
Philosophy of Care
- To focus on persons as unique individuals
- To be a holistic, caring organization
- To enhance and respect healthy independence
- To continue to strive and maintain a leadership role in the provision of health services and accommodation
Type of Accommodation
- Kiwanis House: 30 studio units and 15 1-bedroom units, each with kitchenette, large bathroom with safety features, and either a patio or French balcony.
- Kiwanis Soroptimist Suites: 37 1-bedroom units, each with full kitchen, bathroom with safety features, and either a patio or balcony.
Residents pay 70% of their after-tax income which covers: 1) monthly rental accommodation; 2) hospitality services: two meals daily, weekly housekeeping, laundry, etc.; 3) personal care; and 4) on-site emergency response system. Residents on income assistance pay a flat rate. Items not included as a part of the monthly fee include: telephone, cable, hydro, personal laundry, household and toiletry supplies, medications, personal care products and insurance.
Special Recreational Opportunities
A wide variety of activities are available in each building Monday through Friday that caters to our residents’ physical, social and emotional well-being. These can include:
Games & Puzzles
News and Views
Activities in our Auditorium are available for all residents of Kiwanis Village, and include:
Our Activities Bus also takes residents on weekly outings to local restaurants, malls and attractions
- Kiwanis Village common areas are fully accessible to wheelchairs and walkers.
- All units have grab bars in the bathrooms and a few units are specifically designed for residents in wheelchairs.
Motorized Scooter Policy
- Scooters are permitted upon Management’s approval and must be parked in designated scooter parking areas only
- Permitted upon Management's approval only
- Permitted in outdoor designated smoking areas only
- Both Kiwanis House and Kiwanis Soroptimist Suites feature
- secured entrances
- night-time monitoring by a security company.
- Tenants must be 55+ years of age
- Single or couple
Any Other Amenities
Kiwanis Village also has a beauty salon on-site, as well as overnight guest rooms for our residents’ family and friends, which are available at a minimal cost.
Visitors to Kiwanis Village are asked to park in designated visitor parking only, and observe our Village policy by smoking only in outdoor designated smoking areas. Both Kiwanis House and Soroptimist Suites are equipped with intercoms at the front doors to contact individual residents. Visitors are welcome to join residents in the Fireside dining room, which offers a limited guest menu at a minimal cost.