Welcome to Island Health

On August 1 st, we launched our new public website:


and a new website for medical staff:


Our website was developed in partnership with patients and residents of Vancouver Island and the surrounding regions. It's accessible, mobile friendly and flexible to help us evolve with our communities as we work towards excellent health and care for everyone, everywhere, every time.

Come visit the new sites and update your bookmarks. This www.viha.ca site will continue to be available for one month so that our staff and partners have time to update their links to the new site. You can still browse the old site but it will no longer be updated.



Publicly subsidized residential care is a limited resource, and placement in a residential care facility is based on the urgency of the individual’s care needs.

You may be eligible if you meet citizenship and provincial residency Home and Community Care requirements and the criteria for admission to one of VIHA's residential care facilities.  VIHA care management staff will determine your eligibility by conducting a thorough, standardized assessment of your need and urgency for residential care. For more information, see Access.

Some of the factors we consider include:

      • Your health and care needs
      • Your family’s ability to provide care and support at home
      • Whether community resources are appropriate, safe and sustainable for you.

What if I am not eligible for Residential Care?

The goal of Home and Community Care is to help people remain in their homes in the community for as long as possible.  There is a wide variety of publicly and privately funded community resources available to help you live independently.  Some examples include home support services, bathing services, respite, adult day services and assisted living services.  If you are not eligible for Residential Care, your Community Case Manager will identify appropriate services and resources that will meet your needs.

Who can I call if I have questions about this process?

If you are in the hospital, contact the Liaison Case Manager covering your unit. If you are at home, contact your Community Case Manager or the General Enquiries line.