Access to subsidized residential care is coordinated by Island Health staff. For more information on subsidized residential care, contact the Home Health Office nearest you. Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized residential care. For information on private residential care, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
Publicly Subsidized Units: 100 beds
Private-Pay Units: 0
- 100 private rooms with private bathroom/shower
- 3 cottages divided into 2 sections
- 6 dining rooms
- Large commercial kitchen - food prepared on site
- 3 courtyards with gardens
- Visitor parking
- Next door to Campbell River Hospital
- Large bistro area with library
- Several resident lounge areas
- Gift shop
- Hair salon
- 2 large tub rooms
- 3 large outdoor courtyards
- 1 resident smoking area
- Campbell River Hospital next door
- Hospice Society within walking distance
- Red Cross Loan equipment
- Local elementary and high school close by
- Within walking distance is a coffee shop, convenience store, and bakery.
Language, Culture or Religious Affiliation
English primary language. No religious affiliation however there is a Catholic Mass service every Tuesday morning.
Philosophy of Care
Yucalta Lodge solely exists as a community within a community dedicated to provide quality care in a home-like atmosphere that recognizes and respects the dignity and uniqueness of each resident.
As per Island Health Vision, Purpose and Values.
Accreditation Canada, April 2014 Report.
Accreditation is an external peer review process to assess and improve the services health care organizations provide to their patients and clients, based on standards of excellence set by Accreditation Canada. For more information, visit here: http://www.accreditation.ca/
Type of Accommodation
Rooms are furnished with electric beds with pressure reducing mattresses, beside table and armoire.
Residents pay 80% of their after-tax income which covers the cost of food and accommodation.
Special Recreational Opportunities
All residents are provided with group or individualized activities daily (except stat holidays). Wheelchair accessible bus for outings.
Wheelchair accessible in all areas of the building. Electric wheelchairs allowed if deemed appropriate and by evaluation by Occupational Therapist
Motorized Scooter Policy
Pet visitation as per Island Health policy.
Smoking is allowed (As per Island Health policy) if resident is deemed capable and by signed agreement.
No heat generating devices are allowed in resident's rooms including air conditioners, fridges, or heaters.
- 28 bed secure special care unit (Homestead Cottage)
- 4 Community Hospice beds being opened by end of March 2017
- 24 hour RN building coverage
- Security cameras to monitor common areas
- Protection Service Officers available and on call
Any Other Amenities
There are two lift accessible specialized tubs. We also have specialized exercise equipment available for resident use under the supervision of our Therapy Services department.
During influenza season (typically December-March), to help protect patients from the flu, all visitors will be expected to wear a mask in our facilities if they have not had a flu shot. For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) and Influenza Protection Policy (PDF).
Note: Provincial policy requires all visitors to be informed: "Violence, foul language and abusive behaviours are not acceptable. Verbal threats or acts of violence will not be tolerated and may result in removal from this facility and/or prosecution."