VIHA Cardiac Risk Reduction/Rehabilitation Program
Who can participate
People living with a form of heart disease that would benefit from risk management and lifestyle education. A doctor's referral is required.
How we help
The Cardiac Risk Reduction / Rehabilitation Program is offered by the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) South & Centre Island, physicians and affiliated organizations. Our team of cardiologists, nurses, dietitians, physiotherapists, kinesiologists, pharmacists, social workers and psychiatrist, work with patients and families to achieve cardiac rehab goals.
The goal of this program is to help patient's manage their heart health to the best of their ability. This is achieved through:
- Medical assessment by a cardiologist
- Education about heart disease and healthy lifestyles
- Creating a plan to reduce cardiovascular disease
- Exercise guidance to improve overall fitness
Cardiac Risk Reduction/Rehabilitation Program Brochure (PDF)
Take Heart Program
Take Heart is a 12 week supervised cardiac exercise program that may benefit people who have had a heart event or who have heart health risk factors. A doctor's referral is required and there is a cost for this program. It is offered at:
- West Shore Parks & Recreation Tel: 250.474.8694
- Saanich Commonwealth Place Tel: 250.475.7619
- Panorama Recreation Centre Tel: 250.655.2184
- YMCA-YWCA of Greater Victoria Tel: 250.418.1843
- Nanaimo—North Ridge Health Performance Tel: 250.751.0505
- Parksville—Oceanside Physiotherapy Tel: 250.248.9666
- Campbell River—Strathcona Gardens Recreation Complex Tel: 250.287.9234 Ext 236
Take Heart Program Brochure (PDF)
Back to Top
Island Heart to Heart
Island Heart to Heart is a 7 week education and support program offered in the Victoria area to people with heart disease or who are at risk for heart disease and their families. These are small group education sessions delivered by a variety of health care professionals. A small fee is charged and self-referrals are accepted.
Contact Claire at 778.678.8423 or email: email@example.com.
Island Heart to Heart Brochure (PDF)
Heart Matters is an 8 week heart health education program for people who have a form of heart disease that would benefit from risk mangements and lifestyle education. These are small group education sessions delivered by a variety of health care professionals. Each sessions is 1 hour long. These sessions are free and self-referrals are accepted.
Heart Matters Campbell River Brochure (PDF)
Heart Matters Nanaimo Brochure (PDF)
Heart Matters Oceanside Brochure (PDF)
Heart Matters Port Alberni Brochure (PDF)
Ts’ewulhtun Health Centre - Healthy Lifestyles Program
A free educational and support program in Duncan, BC to promote healthy lifestyle for First Nations people. Call the Healthy Lifestyles Nurse at 250.746.6184.
Back to Top