Who can participate?
People living with a form of heart disease that would benefit from risk management and lifestyle education. A doctor's referral is required for some programs.
How we help
The Royal Jubilee Hospital (RJH) Cardiac Risk Reduction / Rehabilitation Program is offered by Island Health, physicians and affiliated organizations. Our team of cardiologists, nurses, dietitians, physiotherapists, kinesiologists, pharmacists, social workers and psychiatrists work with patients and families to achieve cardiac rehab goals.
The goal of this program is to help patient's manage their heart health to the best of their ability. This is achieved through:
- Medical assessment by a cardiologist
- Education about heart disease and healthy lifestyles
- Creating a plan to reduce cardiovascular disease
- Exercise guidance to improve overall fitness
- Take Heart & Breathe Well Exercise Program
- Heart to Heart & Heart Matters Cardiac Education
*These affiliated programs are accessible to patients WITHOUT referral to the RJH Cardiac Rehabilitation program*
Take Heart & Breathe Well Program
Take Heart & Breathe Well is a 12 week supervised cardiac exercise program that may benefit people who have had a heart event or who have heart health risk factors. A doctor's referral is required and there is a cost for this program. It is offered at:
Henderson Recreation Centre - 2291 Cedar Hill X Rd., Victoria
Phone: 250-370-7200; Fax: 250-595-7607
Panorama Recreation Centre - 1885 Forest Park Dr., N. Saanich
Phone: 250-655-2184; Fax: 250-656-3360
Saanich Commonwealth Place - 4636 Elk Lake Dr., Victoria
Phone: 250-475-7619; Fax: 250-727-2649
West Shore Parks and Recreation - 1767 Island Hwy., Victoria
Phone: 250-474-8694; Fax: 250-474-8650
YMCA-YWCA of Greater Victoria - 851 Broughton St., Victoria
Phone: 250-386-7511 ext 305; No Fax
Sooke Health & Fitness - 6625-A Sooke Road, Sooke., BC
Phone: 250-642-7111; Fax: 778-425-0015
Royal Jubilee Hospital (your physician makes a referral to Dr. Swiggum)
952 Bay St., Victoria. Phone: 250-519-1601; Fax: 250-370-8267
Cowichan Aquatic Centre - 2653 James St., Duncan
Phone: 250-746-3306; Fax: 250-746-3310
North Ridge Health Performance - #901- 5800 Turner Road, Nanaimo
Phone: 250-751-0505; Fax: 250-751-0583
Take Heart and Breathe Well Program Brochure (PDF)
Island Heart to Heart and Heart Matters
Heart to Heart and Heart Matters are Cardiac Education and Support classes offered throughout Vancouver Island. (see Heart to Heart and Heart Matters Cardiac Education Brochure (PDF) for locations)
- Island Heart to Heart (Victoria) is a 7 week education and support program offered in the Victoria area to people with heart disease or who are at risk for heart disease, and their families. These are small group education sessions delivered by a variety of health care porfessionals. Each session is 2 hours long. A small fee is charged and self-referrals are accepted.
- Heart Matters (Nanaimo, Oceanside, Port Alberni & Campbell River) is an 8 week heart health education program for people who have a form of heart disease that would benefit from risk management and lifestyle education. These are small group education sessions delivered by a variety of health care professionals. Each session is 1 hour long. These sessions are free and self-referrals are accepted.
Contact the Coordinator at 778-678-8423 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Heart to Heart and Heart Matters Cardiac Education Brochure July 2017 (PDF)
Ts’ewulhtun Health Centre - Healthy Lifestyles Program
A free educational and support program in Duncan, BC to promote healthy lifestyle for First Nations people. Call the Healthy Lifestyles Nurse at 250.746.6184.