The psychiatric unit at Cowichan District Hospital provides acute inpatient assessment and treatment services.
Cowichan District Hospital
3045 Gibbins Road
Duncan, BC V9L 1E5
Inpatient services are accessed through your family doctor, psychiatrist or through emergency.
- Adolescents, adults and seniors
- Individuals experiencing mental illness, eating disorders, head injuries, mental handicaps, age-related behaviour changes as well as forensic patients.
- Stabilization of acutely ill patients and linkage to community mental health and addiction services for follow-up, continued treatment and recovery.
- Pre-care when possible prior to a patient's admission
- Comprehensive assessment including psychiatric, psychosocial, occupational therapy and nursing information.
- Personalized care plans designed by the treatment team in collaboration with the individual and, when appropriate, family members.
- Treatment based on the individual's care plan.
- Follow-up support as outlined in the discharge planning.
- Activity schedules are personalized to the unique needs of each patient depending on staffing and patient acuity.