This page contains information about Island Health's Adult Mental Health and Substance Use Services for Mt. Waddington including Port McNeill, Port Hardy, Port Alice, Alert Bay, Zeballos, smaller surrounding communities and the adjacent area of the mainland.
Port Hardy Mental Health and Substance Use Services
7070 Shorncliffe Avenue
Port Hardy, BC
Port McNeill Mental Health and Substance Use Services
24 Hour Crisis Line at 1.888.494.3888 or 250.949.6033
2750 Kingcome Place
Port McNeill, BC
Services are free of charge.
Services are available to any Mt. Waddington area resident aged 19 years or over who has a severe and persistent mental illness, an addiction or is in acute emotional distress.
We have an open referral process. Members of the public, community agencies or physicians can access services in person, by phone or by fax.
Drop in counseling and support Monday - Friday 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. at Port Hardy Office
Mental Health and Substance Use services in Mt. Waddington region delivers a range of services to persons living with severe mental health and/or substance use issues. We work closely with other Island Health programs, local physicians and nurse practitioners, First Nations health partners and other not for profit groups to ensure that “every door is the right door” to access the appropriate service setting. We accept referrals from primary care providers, health programs, community partners and self referrals.
Our program provides the following services in both the Port Hardy and Port McNeill locations:
- Mental Health and Substance Use counseling
- Case management
- Rehabilitation supports and services
- Access to Crisis Stabilization Program housing (limited space and duration)
- Outreach to distance communities (Port Alice, Sointula, Fort Rupert, Zeballos, Woss and Alert Bay)
- Access to psychiatry services in person and via telehealth
- Developmental Disability Mental Health Team (DDMHT) provides consultation and assessment services. Serves people fourteen years and older with a demonstrated developmental disability and co-occurring mental illness
Our Port Hardy Office provides the following specific services:
- Early Recovery Program Monday, Wednesday and Fridays 10:00am-11:40am no appointment required
- Drop in counseling and support Monday to Friday 1:00pm-3:00pm no appointment required
- Nurse Practitioner provides outreach primary health care via Lighthouse Centre twice a week, Sacred Wolf Friendship Centre once a week and Port Hardy office
- Community Residential Withdrawal Management Service is located in Port Hardy. The service will be provided to adults living in the Mt. Waddington region who can safely withdraw from substances in a community residential setting, and who have been assessed and referred by the Island Health Withdrawal Management / Detox nurse. The service is provided in partnership with North Island Crisis and Counselling Centre. The model will provide integrated care and treatment to support people with concurrent mental health, physical health, behavioural, and substance use issues. The anticipated length of stay for clients is five to ten (5-10) days. Referrals can be made by contacting the Mental Health and Substance Use centre in Port Hardy at phone (250)902-6051 or via the Single Point of Access Mt Waddington referral process.