A significant increase in drug-related overdoses and deaths across B.C. prompted Provincial Health Officer Dr. Perry Kendall to declare a public health emergency April 2016.
Learn more about overdose prevention at towardtheheart.com
For more information on overdose awareness in B.C., visit gov.bc.ca/overdose
If someone overdoses:
- Call 9-1-1 immediately
- Provide rescue breathing (mouth-to-mouth)
- Administer naloxone
The following strategies can reduce the risk:
- Avoid using alone; fix with a friend
- Try a small amount of new drugs first
- Stagger use with friends so someone can respond if needed
- Avoid using more than one drug at a time (stacking drugs increases risk of overdoses and contributes to more severe overdoses)
- Carry and use naloxone and have an overdose response plan
- Be close to help
- Use an Overdose Prevention Service
This applies to all methods of drug consumption – injection, inhalation, snorting, smoking or consuming with alcohol.
Find an Overdose Prevention or Supervised Consumption Service
Overdose Prevention and Supervised Consumption Services* are locations where people can use illegal drugs under supervision by trained staff. As part of healthcare services, staff in these locations monitor people who are at risk of overdose and provide rapid intervention if necessary.
1371-c Cedar Street (AIDS Vancouver Island). Details
HOURS: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mon. to Thurs., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday (closed 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m.), 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sat. and Sun.
355 - 6th Street (AIDS Vancouver Island). Details
HOURS: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mon. to Fri. (closed 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.), 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sat. and Sun.
715 Canada Avenue (Canadian Mental Health Association). Details
HOURS: 1 p.m. to 7 p.m., 7 days a week
437 Wesley Street (Canadian Mental Health Association). Details
HOURS: 10:30 a.m. to midnight, 7 days a week
Off Bute Street at 3699 3rd Avenue (Port Alberni Shelter Society). Details
HOURS: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 7 days a week
- 919 Pandora Avenue (Our Place Society)
HOURS: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week
- 844 Johnson Street (Johnson Street Community). *Open to building residents only
HOURS: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., 7 days a week
- 713 Johnson Street (AIDS Vancouver Island). Details
HOURS: 3 p.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days a week
- 535 Ellice Street at Rock Bay Landing (Victoria Cool Aid Society). Details
HOURS: Public: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Residents: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days a week
*Overdose Prevention Services are allowed under special Ministerial Order (Ministerial Order M488) under the Emergency Services Act. Supervised Consumption Services are approved by Health Canada for exemption under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.