A smoke-free home is a residence where no smoking is allowed inside anytime by anyone. A smoke-free home is one where people are asked not to smoke while visiting.
Can a Strata Council pass a bylaw making the building a smoke-free?
Yes. Within the bylaw you can put in suggestions on how to make the building smoke-free, such as:
- People agree not to smoke in their suites
- Balcony smoking be limited to the winter months etc.
How can I decrease the amount of smoke entering a suite from another suite or balcony?
- Put weather-stripping around doors.
- Wrap shared plumbing pipes with extra insulation.
- Ask for outside fan ventilation.
Is taking a smoke break outside on my balcony a problem?
Possibly. Smoke may be drifting into other apartments.
- Check with neighbours to see if smoke is drifting.
- Consider going for a walk when having a smoke, especially during summer months when fellow condo owners are trying to enjoy fresh air on their balconies.