Our Philosophy of Care
Our focus is on comfort rather than curing an illness. We try to ease symptoms and suffering for those living with a life-limiting illness. We foster compassion, comfort and dignity to give dying people and their families the best quality of life.
Hospice Palliative Care:
- Does not hasten or delay death
- Recognizes death as a natural part of life
- Focuses on comfort rather than cure
- Improves quality of life by offering comfort and dignity
- Offers comfort, emotional and spiritual supports to the person and family
- Allows people to continue receiving treatments that slow the progress of the disease and reduces uncomfortable symptoms.
Your care team
Your hospice palliative care team includes:
- you and your family
- your physician
- social workers and counsellors
- spiritual care consultant
- Palliative Care Physicians and Palliative Care Nurse Consultants
- personal care workers and others as needed.
You and your family are important members of this care team. There will be choices to make about future health decisions such as where you want to spend your final days and what treatments and comfort measures you wish to have or not have.
Making future health decisions is an important step in identifying your choices and stating your wishes. Through a process of Advance Care Planning or writing advance directives, your care team can be informed of your choices for care and comfort.
Manager, Palliative & End of Life Care
401 Moilliet Street
Parksville BC V9P 2G9
Director, Palliative & End of Life Care
Dr. Leah MacDonald
Medical Director, Palliative & and End of Life Care
Clinical Nurse Specialist, Palliative& End of Life Care