January 21, 2016
As you are aware, the Ministry of Health and Doctors of BC are reviewing the provincial Medical On-Call Availability Program (MOCAP) to ensure physician call groups are compensated appropriately and consistently among health regions, acknowledging availability, burden, and clinical need.
It is recognized that some call groups receive more urgent, more frequent and/or more demanding call than others. As agreed to in the 2012 Physician Master Agreement, a joint committee of the Ministry of Health is updating MOCAP to ensure the system of payment is objective and equitable - and more truly reflects call frequency and patient visits as part of the decision-making process.
Beginning February 1, 2016, all MOCAP call groups will be asked to submit information about the call group’s activity. To simplify the process as much as possible, data will be collected through the usual online billing methods.
If any call groups decide not to participate their call group will likely be reclassified to Level 3 MOCAP.
Data Collection Overview
• Data collection will take place from February 1-28, 2016, inclusive.
• Call groups will submit data through usual online billing methods using two $0 fee items. If your call group does not use online billing systems, please contact Michael K Fisher, Physician Contracts (Kenneth.Fisher2@viha.ca) to agree upon a method of collecting data.
• To ensure your data are properly counted, please ensure all fee items are submitted to Teleplan (or your billing company) by March 15, 2016.
• If you do not receive any MOCAP calls during the data collection period, please inform Michael K Fisher, Physician Contracts (Kenneth.Fisher2@viha.ca).
• The updated MOCAP classification system will assign Levels 1, 2, or 3 based on measured burden of call. If groups decline to provide statistics for this data collection period, this may result in an inability to successfully appeal any reclassification of level or removal from the program.
Information and Instruction Documents for Data Collection:
One page Instructions: Electronic Data Entry Quick Guide
Detailed instructions: Electronic Instructions
Ministry of Health MOCAP website
Island Health: Kenneth.Fisher2@viha.ca Phone: 250-519-3666
Ministry of Health: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: January 25, 2016