The purpose of the dental program is to reduce preventable dental disease among children and other selected groups actross the Island Health Region through dental health promotion, early childhood interventions and surveillance and monitoring of dental health.
Prenatal to Preschool
- Education, skill building and support for families to access dental services.
- Dental screening for infants and preschoolers. See Smiles First.
- Oral health teaching and resource kits available for loan to leaders of preschool and parent groups.
- Dental screening and support for students of any age referred by public health nurses.
- School newsletter articles on dental health promotion topics.
- Oral health teaching resources available for loan (lesson plans, videos, tooth brushing models, posters).
Services for Children with Developmental Disabilities
- This program is provided for children with developmental disabilities who need help to achieve good oral health and to access private professional dental care in the community.
- Services are available for clients, caregivers, family members, professionals and Community Living Agencies.
- Oral assessments
- Oral hygiene counselling
- Referrals to community dentists
- Advocacy and client support
- Education for caregivers
- Limited clinical dental hygiene services
Referrals are accepted from public health nurses, parents, teachers and other health professionals and can be directed to the dental program.
Esquimalt Health Unit
530 Fraser Street
Victoria, BC V9A 6H7
Saanich Health Unit
2nd Floor, 3995 Quadra Street
Victoria, BC V8X 1J8
If you live in Central or North Island, click here for Health Units near you.
Back to Top