What is the Employed Student Nurse (ESN) Program?
The ESN Program is a provincial program that provides opportunities for Registered Nursing (RN) to receive paid employment by working in supernumerary casual positions under the supervision of a RN. In Island Health, year-round and short-term block employment positions are available in a variety of settings for over 300 nursing students each year.
Benefits of the ESN Program
Program evaluations show the these benefits of the ESN Program:
- Opportunity for students to consolidate their skills and gain confidence in their practice
- Less time needed to transition into RN positions
- Students are better prepared for jobs than other graduates
- Clients and families receiving care and services benefit from the additional nursing services provided
- Nursing teams benefit from the vitality and energy ESNs bring to their positions
- Opportunity for students to defray their tuition costs or student loans.
Who can apply?
RN nursing students who:
- Have current CRNBC student membership
- Have current BCNU membership
- Have current Certificate in Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Are currently enrolment in a recognized School of Nursing (RN)
- Have completed year 2 in a BC Collaboration of Academic Education in Nursing program (or equivalent)
- Are willing to be placed in areas of organizational need
- Have had positive reference check(s) completed
The number of hours per ESN is 275 hours
Priority for the program will be given to ESNs who are residents of BC. Preference will be given to students in Schools of Nursing on Vancouver Island. Applicants studying elsewhere in BC or Canada will be considered if they have family links to Vancouver Island (a postal code) and/or anticipate future employment within VIHA.
ESN positions for 2013 are posted on VIHire
ESN positions will continue to be posted as they become available.
If you are interested in an ESN position, please create a profile and set up an email alert in VIHire for any ESN positions as they become available.
Directions for both of these processes can be found on the VIHire website.
Current Employed Student Nurses do not need to reapply
New Employee Orientation
Once hired, ESN’s complete New Employee Orientation. This will be arranged by the hiring manager/team.
ESNs from Vancouver Island schools are not required to attend Nursing Orientation, unless deemed necessary by the hiring manager to address specific identified learning needs.
Employed Student Nurse Orientation
Professional Practice & Learning will be hosting workshops in July for all newly Employed Students. (see pdf)
Employed Students are expected to co-create a learning plan with the leadership of the hiring unit.
Back to Top