What is the Employed Student Nurse (ESN) Program?
The ESN Program is a provincial program that provides opportunities for Registered Nursing (RN) and Registered Psychiatric Nursing (RPN) students to receive paid employment by working in supernumerary casual positions under the supervision of a RN/RPN. In VIHA, year-round and short-term block employment positions are available in a variety of settings for over 300 nursing students each year.
Benefits of the ESN Program
Program evaluations show the these benefits of the ESN Program:
- Opportunity for students to consolidate their skills and gain confidence in their practice
- Less time needed to transition into RN/RPN positions
- Students are better prepared for jobs than other graduates
- Clients and families receiving care and services benefit from the additional nursing services provided
- Nursing teams benefit from the vitality and energy ESNs bring to their positions
- Opportunity for students to defray their tuition costs or student loans.