The Fisher Building
The facility that now houses Queen Alexandra Orthotics, Prosthetics and Seating, was built with the support of the Queen Alexandra Foundation (now the Children's Health Foundation of Vancouver Island) in 1986 to provide paediatric orthotics and seating services to patients on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
In 1992, a research wing was added to the facility and the building was rededicated as the Fisher Rehabilitation Centre in recognition of Gerry Fisher, whose efforts brought about the amalgamation of a wide range of children's health services. The centre is sometimes referred to as the Fisher Building.
QAOPS, as it exists today, is the result of an amalgamation of the Paediatric Orthotics and Seating Services of Queen Alexandra Centre for Children's Health with the Adult Orthotics, Prosthetics, and Splinting services of the Greater Victoria Hospital Society (GVHS) on June 16, 1995.
This amalgamated team was originally dubbed Rehabilitation Engineering Services but has now become the Queen Alexandra Orthotics, Prosthetics and Seating (QAOPS).
Queen Alexandra Orthotics, Prosthetics and Seating now helps both children and adults address their physical challenges and mobility needs. We offer a strong clinical base of assessment, manufacturing of custom devices, and environmental controls. Our research addresses some of the daily living needs faced by persons' with physical disabilities.
The Children's Health Foundation of Vancouver Island has supported our children's services for over 35 years. They ensure that children requiring specialized bracing and seating receive the services they need. This includes having clinical orthotists, prosthetists and seating specialists at VIHA rehab clinics and appointments for those needing a brace or special seating. The foundation also helps pay for repair and modification of adaptive equipment for children with a disability. Recently, the Foundation funded our Gait Lab, which includes a state-of-the-art pressure mat, measurement and video analysis equipment, and a portable ultrasound machine.
Who was Queen Alexandra?
Both the original solarium at Mill Bay and the present Queen Alexandra Children's Hospital at Finnerty Cove were named after Queen Alexandra (1844 - 1925) Ð a Danish monarch who married a British prince. She was known for her benevolence and devotion to charitable causes. Queen Alexandra founded her own branch of "The National Society for Aid to the Sick and Wounded in Time of War," arranged for thousands of the very poor to enjoy a hot dinner at Queen Victoria's Jubilee celebration, and devoted considerable time to numerous charities. Although Queen Alexandra became ill with rheumatic fever in 1867, which left her with a walking limp and a worsened hearing impairment, her compassion was not hindered but increased. As a result of a construction contribution from the royal family, the solarium at Mill Bay was named in honour of Alexandra, a monarch who truly showed her desire to help those in need.
Source: Queen Alexandra Foundation Archives 2002