for staff and physicians
Ethics refers to standards of behaviour that tell us how human beings ought to act in the many situations in which they find themselves - as friends, parents, children, citizens, professionals, employees etc. Have you ever asked yourself...
- How can I put the patient/client/resident first?
- Is this what we ought to do?
- How do we know we are doing the right thing?
- Is it right to keep quiet when I know something wrong happened?
- Why does this matter?
- What does this person value?
...then you are reviewing your concern through an ethics lens.
Everyone has a role to play in fostering an ethical climate and integrating ethics into everyday practice, whether your role is in providing direct care or supporting the provision of care.
"Everyday ethics" in Island Health is anchored in the Island Health vision and values, supported by specific professional codes of ethics, and the Island Health code of conduct.*
* Note: This resource is available to staff and physicians via the Island Health intranet. You will be prompted to log on if you are viewing this from an external computer.
You are encouraged to increase your ethics literacy through attending ethics-related education events and by exploring the tools and resources found on this site.