Institutional Approval to Conduct Research
In order to conduct research at Island Health, Principal Investigators must obtain institutional approval for their study. The requirements for approval are listed below. Once all requirements are met, a Certificate of Institutional Approval will be emailed to the Principal Investigator. Research cannot begin until this Certificate has been issued.
Institutional Approval for all research requires:
1. Island Health Research Ethics Board Certificate of Approval; and
2. Island Health Operational Review & Approvals, as applicable.
Additional approvals for regulated sponsored clinical trials:
1. Clinical Trial Agreement between Island Health, Principal Investigator, and Sponsor
2. Health Canada Letter of No Objection (NOL)
3. Clinical Trial Registration number with a non-profit clinical trials registry, e.g. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/
Additional approvals for grant-funded studies:
1. Grant Contribution Agreement
Additional approvals for external affiliated researchers:
1. Research Affiliation/Collaboration Agreement (inter-institutional)
2. Study Specific Researcher Affiliation Agreement
UBC Family Practice Resident Research, Dietetic Interns, Pharmacy Residents and Summer Medical Students Research Projects
In order to streamline the process of ethical review and approval, UBC Family Practice Resident Research, UBC Dietetic Interns, UBC Pharmacy Residents and UBC Summer Medical Students Research Projects need to apply ONLY to Island Health for their projects.
Please submit your application to Island Health Research Ethics using the standard forms, including your Operational Review form, and ensure you notify UBC in accordance with the UBC guidance document.