Here are some tips to help you make arrangements for staying overnight when traveling for a medical appointment:
- Try to book as soon as you know you need a place to stay; accommodation fills up quickly during holidays and special events.
- Visit websites for detailed information before you book.
- Identify yourself as a patient (or a family member of a patient) and ask for a special discounted “medical” or “Island Health” (Vancouver Island Health Authority) rate.
- Plan for extra costs such as phone calls, parking and meals.
- Remember: taxes apply to regular and discounted room rates. B.C. has a 12% Harmonized Sales Tax in place.
- Confirm the rate at the time of booking. Discounts may change at the discretion of the business.
- Get a confirmation number and check-in and check-out times when you book.
- Ask about cancellation policies and other restrictions or charges that may apply.
- Keep receipts for your accommodation, meals and travel expenses. You may be able to claim these as medical expenses on your income tax return. Go to Revenue Canada’s website for more information.