Volunteer Resources provides volunteer programs that will enhance and enrich the quality of life for those clients who are receiving assistance through Residential and Housing and Substance Use Services. These activities focus on the social and recreational needs of clients.
Do you want to:
- learn more about Mental Health and Substance Use Services or do you have a personal interest in this area of healthcare
- gain valuable experience through volunteering or perhaps decide upon a career working in mental health
- be part of the health care team helping to enrich the lives of others
- give back to the community as a contribution for assistance you have received
- meet new people and share your talents
The skills and interests of volunteers are carefully matched with the needs of the programs.
All volunteers are required to have a criminal record check prior to being accepted as a volunteer to the program. As part of the training Volunteers will be required to attend a Managing Aggressive Behaviour and/or Violence Prevention Program course.
Examples of volunteer opportunities with VIHA Mental Health and Substance Use Services:
- Encourage client participation in arts and crafts
- various locations and times
- can also help with matting and framing client art (training provided)
- Teach principles of Hatha Yoga (must have completed teacher training)
- Familiar with relaxation techniques
- Various times and locations
- Help facilitate writing circle for clients with mental illness
- Some experience in creative writing techniques
- Thursday afternoons 2 - 3 pm
- Run a lively weekly Bingo Game for clients in recovery
- Purchase prizes for Bingo
- Encourage clients to participate in weekly sports activity (soccer/baseball/basketball)
- Accompany clients to gym for workout
- Accompany clients on walks throughout their neighbourhood
Coordinator, Volunteer Resources
Phone: 250.370.8111 ext 13048
Royal Jubilee Hospital
Memorial Pavilion, KW010
1952 Bay St.