We are an Acute Care Facility, located just off the Trans-Canada Highway at Helmcken Road in the View Royal Municipality of Greater Victoria. VGH provides Emergency, General Surgery, Medical Treatment, Rehabilitation, Geriatrics, and Child Life Services to people in the South Region of Vancouver Island.
The primary functions of the Volunteer Resources Department are the recruitment, screening and orientation of new volunteers, providing support to staff in training, evaluating and recognizing the services of our volunteers, and providing support to our Hospital Auxiliary.
Do you want to:
- Gain valuable experience through volunteering or perhaps decide upon a medical career
- Be part of the health care team helping to enrich the lives of others
- Give back to the community as a contribution for assistance you have received
- Meet new people and share your talents
- You will receive valuable training
- You will be given an opportunity to share yourself.
- You will be given a letter of reference, upon your request, after six months.
- You can explore a possible career in health care and gain some valuable work experience.
Below you will find information about the Adult & Youth programs, as well as the hospital Auxiliary.
If you require an additional reference please use this form:
Volunteer Opportunity Descriptions
How to Apply
If you are interested in volunteering, complete the application form, attach 2 letters of reference, and mail or drop it off to Volunteer Resources (below). After we receive the application all volunteers are required to have a criminal record check prior to starting their volunteer assignment. You will need to commit to a minimum of 6 months or 60 hours and as a part of the training volunteers will be required to watch the online training videos.
Together, we can create a schedule for volunteering that fits your interests and meets the volunteer needs of the hospital.
Please call monthly to let us know if you are still interested, as you may be on a wait list. If we don't hear from you regularly, your file will be discarded in 6 months.
If you have any further questions feel free to contact Petra Slaughter (Monday - Friday).
Thank you for your interest. We hope to hear from you soon.
Coordinator of Volunteer Resources
Phone (250) 727-4134 (Volunteer Resources)
Victoria General Hospital
1 Hospital Way
Victoria BC V8Z 6R5
Back to Top